If you’re a regular Instagram user, then you’re aware of the platform’s latest feature – Instagram Stories.
So, what is Instagram Stories? It is a Snapchat-inspired feature built into the photo sharing app. It appears at the top of your newsfeed screen and allows you to upload photos in a stream that will expire and disappear after 24 hours. Sounds familiar doesn’t it? Instagram’s CEO, Kevin Systrom agrees that the feature is very similar to Snapchat.
How do you use Instagram Stories?
- Go to your Instagram newsfeed.
- Click on the + in the top left corner of your feed to start a new story.
- Tap on the circle button at the bottom of the screen to take a photo or hold it down to record a video.
- To edit and add text or drawings to your photo or video, use the buttons in the top right corner.
- If you want to add a filter, simply swipe left or right. Currently, there are 7 different options.
- Finally, tap the check mark at the bottom of the screen to add it to your story.
- To save a photo or video from your story to your phone’s camera roll, hit the download button on the right of your story.
- As this is an Instagram feature, you can utilize Boomerangs and Hyperlapses with your story.
- To monitor who can view your story, click on the three dots in the bottom right corner. Then click Story Settings to select any users you wish to block from viewing your stories.
- Yes, as with Snapchat, you are able to see who has viewed your story. Open your story and swipe on the screen. On the bottom of the screen, there will be a view counter and the names of people who have viewed your story. Only you will be able to see this information.
So now the debate begins; which platform is better?
Many reviewers are saying that Instagram took Snapchat’s confusing interface and made it more simplistic to use. Each step of the process is clearly labelled with buttons, instead of swipes. For example, instead of swiping on a Snapchat photo to send a reply, Instagram has a clearly labelled Send Message button. This is something that many struggle with when trying to learn how to use Snapchat.
Another thing Instagram has going for it, is that it has an existing community of active users. These people use the app to connect with friends, follower new people and discover new parts of the world all through images and video. This sense of community is something that Snapchat is lacking. How many times have you seen an online personality encouraging their audience to add them on Snapchat? Now, Instagram followers will be able to access your stories from right in the app. There is no need to direct and build a new audience in a different app.
Instagram has always been seen as a place where people can upload the highlights of their life. With the introduction of Instagram Stories, you will be able to see the unfiltered, everyday parts of people’s lives, between the picture perfect photos. With that being said, at one point in time we have all followed that one person who posts way too much. Now, these people will have a place where they can post without overwhelming their followers’ feeds.
So, what do you think? Comment or Tweet us and let us know.
If you are looking for an expert in the ever-changing landscape of Social Media then collaborating with Longevity Graphics is the right choice for you and your business. Contact us today to get a no-obligation quote. We offer a Free 1-Hour Consultation on all social media, SEO, web design and web development services